Advertisement

Best drummers in rock

topic posted Thu, January 12, 2006 - 12:03 AM by  Dan
Share/Save/Bookmark
Here's my top five:
1. Neal Peart, Rush (by far, the best drummer in rock, period!)
2. John Bonham, Led Zeppelin (the original basher, but Peart definitely expounded on what he brought to the table)
3. Keith Moon, The Who (played like a man possessed, and kind of was in real life)
4. Mike Portnoy, Dream Theater (the best of the young breed. This guy doesn't even need to solo for his *beep* to be amazing!)
5. Phil Collins, Genesis (could not only jam, but could also sing while playing)

Just missed the cut:
6. Bob Bruford, Yes (part of a super-talented group, and a big Dream Theater influence. Love the time-changes.)
7. Ginger Baker, Cream (unlike Bill Ward, can still jam for an old guy)
8. Mitch Mitchell, Jimi Hendrix Experience (drummers and musicians know how great he was backing Jimi. Even played the Buddy Miles/Band of Gypsys stuff great)
9. Dave Lombardo, Slayer (Slayer is my favorite band, and he revolutionized metal drumming. A definite influence on me and many others in this generation)
10. Nikko McBrain, Iron Maiden (can still bring it after all these years. And, doesn't need a double-bass pedal, either. Up the Irons!)

Best current (metal/hard rock):
1. Portnoy
2. Lombardo
3. McBrain
4. Scott Travis, Judas Priest (the beat drummer Priest has ever had, and they're even heavier thanks to him)
5. Charlie Benate, Anthrax (often overlooked, but still one of the best drummers in metal)
5a. Dave Grohl, Foo Fighters (would have made the list but is more of a frontman now. However, can't discount his Nirvana years and the Probot CD. A phenomenal musician)

Most overrated:
1. Lars Ulrich, Metallica (he's the reason I bought a drum set, but once you learn the drums, you realize that his *beep* isn't all that spectacular. A better buisnessman than a drummer, and even that's debatable (see: Load CD, Napster lawsuit))
2. Alex Van Halen, Van Halen (Hot for Teacher was great. Anything else? Was given props because of his last name and the band he was in)
3. Ringo Starr, The Beatles (Pete Best was better. A legend only because he was a Beatle)
4. Peter Criss, KISS (Eric Carr and Eric Singer each blew him out of the water)
5. Bill Ward, Black Sabbath (he wasn't even the best drummer the band's ever had (Cozy Powell, Vinnie Appice, Singer, Mike Bordin, even *gasp* Bev Bevan). Only revered because he was an original member of the metal pioneers)

Drummers unite!
posted by:
Dan
offline Dan
Cleveland
Advertisement
  • Re: Best drummers in rock

Thu, January 12, 2006 - 1:01 AM
    You need to check yourself, broseph......

Where to begin, where to begin....
    I always promise myself i am not gonna get roped into these goddamn arguments, but they just drag me in.....

I wanna check you on your Ringo statement.... Typical of a metal head..... but i understand... you guys have to be hardcore and all.... It's all good..... But you don't understand what ringo brought to the table.... He originated.... He was a pioneer of so much sound it would make you sick.... This is coming from Greg Bissonette's mouth. Nobody thought he had chops..... he never showed them.... Simply because he was a musician before he was a drummer.... just the same as lars ulrich is a musician before he is a drummer.

Peter Criss.... I hate kiss... but i will go there......

They have a rhythm section that won't wow you.... however it will at least impress you with solidarity and substance.

You are cracking musicians who are performing their art, and focusing on technique. Technique is all good, but you aren't looking much at musicianship.

I won't debate your best of.... that is debatable til the sun goes down... if i had my call, i would put bonzo on top, just for his presence and style. Peart rocks, but he didnt have quite the energy..... it didnt come from the same place.... wasnt as natural.....

By the way.... Isn't it bill bruford?

Thu, January 12, 2006 - 1:20 PM
      Yes, it is Bill Bruford. Duh!

I'm also not a big Van Halen or Beatles fan, hence my bias. I do like Metallica, but hated them in the 90s thanks to what I thought were shitty albums. Anyway, sorry if I offended anyone with my 'overrated' poll, I was just stating an opinion.

I figured I'd start a little debate and see what everyone else determined as their top drummers. I think you could debate Neil vs. Bonham until Hell froze over. Each are fantastic and rock pioneers in their own right, and I idolize them both. However, Neil's technical ability and songwrting ability bump him over the top in my personal rankings.

Yes, I am a metalhead ... and proud of it!

Sat, January 14, 2006 - 10:05 AM
    I have to say that for the ON TOP of the beat, tight, precise powerhouse, I'd have to pick Ian Paice (Deep Purple) or Ainsley Dunbar, and the Canadian version Paul Delong (early Max Webster)

For the more 'feel' thing, there's no one who rock steady/groovey like Bonham, no matter how over exposed he may be.

JMHOpinion

Sat, January 14, 2006 - 11:04 AM
    You never even mentioned any of Zappa's drummers. Vinnie Caliouta (sp?), Chad Wackerman, Terry Bozio. What about Steve Gadd? Jim Keltner? Jim Gordon? This doesn't even count "crossover" drummers like Bernard Purdie, Roger Hawkins or Hal Blaine. And what about Charlie Watts? Man you have to broaden your horizons a little.

Sat, January 14, 2006 - 11:30 AM
      Just had a clinic at my school by wackerman.... SICK SICK SICK..... That guy is not human...... Colliuta and Bozio are the progressive kings in my book... right there with bruford......

After a while i get out of the game of being comparitive..... Being at the school i am at, the one thing i have noticed is the following analogy.....

in any art, if it is your choice for a primary means of expression, you are (if not, you should be) putting yourself into it as much as humanly possible..... you are driving forward at a rate that is alot faster than you can ever keep track of (if you are trying to keep track too specifically, you are driving yourself insane) With a bunch of people all around you moving at a similar rate.... never the same rate.

It is kind of like driving on the interstate...... You are moving at a high high rate of speed that your mind doesnt fully comprehend after a while. Your relativitity shifts to how fast you are passing other cars.... or whether or not other cars are passing you.... If you get too caught up in that, you aren't really focusing on what else is out there to enjoy.....

The trick for me has just been to drop all ego and comparitive analysis when looking at established drummers.... There is obviously good and bad, but alot comes down to what works for you. Ragging drummers that don't fit your bill is ulitmately limiting yourself.

The best lesson i have gotten from my school is flexibility. We have to go from Rock to blues to jazz to swing to country to hip hop and back in a given week. We have to know every nuance of each song we play, and get into it as much as possible... playing with grad students in a live atmosphere.

It teaches you to drop your identity as a musician and try new things..... The hard part is trusting at first that you are not gonna lose your voice just by trying a new one...... Just because you set your identity aside, doesnt mean you can't pick it up in 5 minutes.

gonna stop rambling now

Tue, January 17, 2006 - 9:17 AM
        Good stuff Transformed, good stuff. It's fun to debate favorites, and hopefully we are inspired by our heroes and not discouraged at the obvious chasm between most of flailers and those who make the rent playing music.

For me the real fun after 33 years of playing traps is trying new projects that stretch me in weird ways, and also by arranging songs for the whole band.

Fri, February 3, 2006 - 3:13 PM
      checkin in - was gonna add Steve gadd - so - i'll add another Steve instead - maybe he's further up the chain - - in Steely Dans' - Can't Buy a Thrill - Steve Hodder

maybe these guys are covered too -

Don Henley

Mick Fleetwood

Thu, January 26, 2006 - 3:12 PM
    In response to "Most over-rated drummers"
    Pete Best was not a better drummer than Ringo Starr.
    Listen to The Beatles demo audition for Decca records, that's Pete Best drumming . He knew one beat and that was it, that's why they got rid of him.
    Read any interviews with any of the top drummers, they'll say Ringo was an influence.
    Ringo Starr is a tasteful drummer (never over-played) and gave the music what it needed with out cluttering it up. Can anyone really picture double-bass foot-work and insane triplets on a Beatles record?
    A drummer not worth anything is drummer that can't keep time and fucks up the music. I don't recall hearing any of that on a Beatles record.

I'm glad to see Bonzo on your list, but I would rate him top, he had the best feel, and he had FUNK, and could swing.
    I don't remember seeing Ian Paice on the list, but he's great. I also love Ginger Baker, Mitch Mitchell and Keith Moon.
    I'm an old dinasaur and proud of it, old-school Rock 'n Roll kicks this new shit right in the ass!
    I say all this with passion, not to start arguments (please don't take anything personally!)

Drummers today?
    I like John Dolmayan from System of a Down.
    and Abraham Laboriell jr.

This is a cool site, I'm glad it's here!
    -Eric

Thu, January 26, 2006 - 8:00 PM
      OK. I read this whole post, and didn't a one a ya mention Simon Wright or Phil Ruud. Now, I know.. you're all going, "who the fuck are those guys?" right, so I'll tell ya. The both drummed for AC/DC. Again, you're thinking, "Are you kidding?" right? No, I am not. Niether gentleman was fancy... at all, but they were both the most on time, tightest, most complimentary drummers AC/DC, as a power guitar band, could have had. If you really think about it, would AC/DC sound the same without that specific "non-style" style of drumming?

Fri, January 27, 2006 - 12:46 PM
        Indeed. I learned how to drum from Phil Rudd. The basics are all there, including pocket, groove, and dynamics. I wish a lot of these 30 piece gizmo fusion gods would simplify-simplify-simplify like Phil and Simon.
      • Tom
        Tom
        offline 0

Re: Best drummers in rock

Fri, January 4, 2008 - 9:28 PM
        Got to stop you right there. AC/DC, while they do rock, always seem to sound a bit generic. Unfortunatley the reason for that is their drumming. He may have been on time and tight, but he was so uncreative, that i many times find AC/DC songs as just having the same feel every time. While he may not be as bad as many people think, i would never mention him when talking about the best dummers of all time.

Sat, January 5, 2008 - 7:03 AM
          We speaking of Phil Rudd?
          Your arguments are sound, but I still have a soft spot for 'ol Rudder. He literally taught me how to drum. I would come home from school, get behind my kit, put on the headphones and crank "Highway to Hell" and "Back in Black" and practice my basics. AC/DC guitar riffs tend to happen in funky places and so you need a solid presence back there on the traps. Phil taught me to hold my own no matter WHAT the guitarists are up to. :-)
          Plus, there is the fact that when Phil left the band (to raise a family and live off selling the cars he has accumulated during his first tenure with the band) the music suffered. When he returned several years later, voila! AC/DC was back on top. Not a coincidence.
  • Unsu...

Thu, February 2, 2006 - 4:20 PM
    One to go see live if ever you get the chance: Ryan Lacey of Gaelic Storm. OK, if you know anything about the band you probably are thinking "but it isn't rock". Not only does he manage to keep it the most rocking irish band anywhere, he is a notable drummer in any genre, rock included.

On stage now he plays mostly hand drums on a custom kit including mounted doumbeks, cymbals, highhat and electronic kick. How he doesn't slice his hand off on crashes must be all the tape. I've also heard him play a single plywood box making it sound like a top kit with my eyes closed. Hand him the sticks though, and he'll blow you away again.

Fri, March 10, 2006 - 4:41 PM
      I agree with 'Rhythm' about getting 'trapped' into these agruments.

I guess it all depends upon your perspective, what you listen to, and life experience in general. I would never list names along of numbers and limiting the discussion to rock just plain dismisses amazing drummers from different styles.

My biggest influences are Terry Bozzio, Bill Bruford, Phil Collins (PG's Genesis), 'Bonzo', Ian Paice, Mitch Mitchell... sure the list could continue on and on.

I haven't yet seen mention of Danny Carey, Josh Freese, Simon Phillips, Jeff Pocaro (RIP)

But what about the classics: GENE KRUPA !.... the first real drummer to rock out on a drum kit before there was this thing called rock music.

Buddy Rich ring a bell? (rim shot please) Where's Ed Shaunessey when ya need him?

How about Louis Belson, you know, the guy who innovated double bass drumming?

Moving on in time.... Tony Williams! (One of Bozzio's big influences.)

Elvin Jones?... Art Blakey?... Jack Dejohnette?....

....and there was this cat name Clyde Stubblefield, who laid the funk down thick... for the Godfather of Soul....

Ain't said nothin' 'bout no Nashville players neither may'n.... y'all.....fellers....

Don't get me wrong I love Rock, and I understand this was the catagory originally pitched... just wanna expand the horizon when we talk about "best drummers."

Thanks for listening.... now I'VE GOT TO BEAT IT!

And please forgive me if I forgot anybody.... or misspelled anyone's name.....

Rock on mighty Skinz'people!

Sat, March 11, 2006 - 7:26 AM
        I don't think anyone forgot about all the other drummers you mentioned, it's just that the posting was for best drummers in Rock.
        I love many of the jazz greats you mentioned too.
        -Eric
      • Unsu...

Thu, September 28, 2006 - 8:04 PM
        Sorry just joined the tribe and read this for the first time.
        Best : no doubt Neil Peart
        Under Raited: Ever heard of Clive Burr Maidens' first and most creative drummer. Still Niko rules the single kick.
        Over Rated: Tommy Lee

Yes, Another Metal Head

Garison"The Bull"
  • Unsu...

Fri, March 10, 2006 - 11:38 PM
    For modern rock/prog/metal
    Danny Carey needs a slot... Great player.. it's what happens when a jazz/tabla player plays metal..

Thu, March 16, 2006 - 10:39 AM
      have to agree on this one, I also would like to see Omar Hakim there too

Wed, April 26, 2006 - 3:00 PM
        Does anybody else remember Barriemore Barlow kicking ass in Jethro Tull? I think he's up there with the best but you sure don't hear much about him. One of my influences.

Wed, April 26, 2006 - 3:08 PM
          Was he playing on "This Was"? if so, I've always enjoyed his drumming on it.
          I know that original guitarist Mick Abrams left after the 1st record to form "Bloodwyn Pig" , I didn't know if the musical line-up continued throughout their additional recordings.
          -Eric

Tue, May 2, 2006 - 12:54 PM
            I believe that was Clive Bunker, Eric. I think he was their original drummer. If I'm not mistaken, Bunker left after "Benefit" and Barlow first played on Thick as a Brick, Passion Play, Minstrel in the Gallery , War Child and , I think, Too Old to R&R,Too Young to Die". I don't actually remember when he quit the band.

Mon, January 8, 2007 - 12:57 PM
    All the drummers that've played with YES ...

Peart of course ...

the guy who plays in system of a down is good with keeping up with all the changes they do ... he gets a work-out ...

reeg bissonette who has played with lot of people like david lee roth etc etc is good ...

guy who plays in winger .,... rod morgenstein is good ...

just few names off top of my head at moment .... there are WAYYYY more guys/gals that I cant think of at moment ....

sheila E ....

LOT of good woman bashers .... sorry that im not recalling more names ... DUH ...

Sun, January 28, 2007 - 2:57 PM
      yeah jon fishman is great especially in that format of a 2-3 hour show with a lot of jamming and songs and goofing off , musically ...

too bad phish is broken up ...

the guy that plays with trey anastasio is just as good or better even t hough ... can't recall his name ...

Sat, January 27, 2007 - 12:47 PM
    Jiminey 'frickin' Cricket!!! I just read through 21 posts with not a single mention of Jon Fishman... what what what ?!?! ALSO where's Stewart Copeland of the Police/Oysterhead ... not even on the almost lists? Both of these guys are awesome drummers and can do it on the fly. Yeah yeah, Neal Peart, but he's got everything tabbed out and doesn't stray from the original compositions-- freakin awesome compositions so nothin really bad to say-- he's awesome and all. How 'bout on the current side the guy from STS9? or Umphrees McGhee?? & seriously, not a single mention of Michael Travis???? I think String Cheese Incident is alot folksy and wishy washy, but that guy can frickin drum; check out Zilla....

no arguments here about subjective opinionated stuff, but if 21 posts go by w/out a single mention, I really need to weigh in

love & light
    sky

www.myspace.com/yellowfinn
    • Unsu...

Sat, January 27, 2007 - 6:34 PM
      I agree wityh the guy from the police.

And here are some other bands with great drums whos drummers I cant name.

Primus ( Tim "Herb" Alexander)
      The Cranberries ?
      Tool ?
      Gosh there are so many great percussionists it is insane to name them all and give credit where it is due.

Sun, January 28, 2007 - 1:29 AM
        It seems to me that talking about the best drummers in rock is like talking about the 'best people in the world.

It's a spurious and futile undertaking.

We truly can only talk about our 'favorite' drummers in Rock, I think.

All human beings who play music are trying to express themselves.

and a word about Ringo Starr:

Ringo Starr couldnt' play a conventional drum roll..........he had to play left hand led on his rolls
        and he inspired an entire generation of Los Angeles studio drummers (like Jeff Porcaro, Russ Kunkel)
        and New York drummers like Steve Jordan and Steve Gadd.

His signature innovation were the types of broken up, sycopated drum fills (that NOONE was doing until he
        did) that characterize the playing on Abbey Road.........the kind of fills that completely inspired the kind
        of drumming in the early 70's singersongwriter boom in L. A. (think of all the Russ Kunkel fills on
        James Taylor's Fire and Rain).

When asked once, how he came to invent such quirky and frequently oddly place fills he said something to the effect
        that when the Beatles entered their last live music phase by playing places like Shea Stadium (with out miced drums,
        by the way.........imagine that) the screaming of the girls at those shows was so loud and persistent that he could not hear his own
        drumming............he said that occaionsally if the singing would die down, that he would play a fill just so he could hear it.
        This of course had a ton of randomness introduced into it.

This unusual turn of events changed studio drumming for 20 years, particularly in Los Angeles.

How amazing...............and he didn't even have control over it..........with the exception that he started to play things that were fun and interesting to his ear.

I am a fan of all the shredding fusion,metal, speed metal and even the new generation of guys who have taught themselves to play like a computer in Drum and Bass and Jungle.............but sometimes all this shredding lacks subtlety..............sometimes it lacks space...........sometimes it lacks musicality.

I have to say after having been a professional studio drummer and touring drummer for 30 years now, that I'd rather hear a drummer
        that a producer or songwriter is into rather than the one who technically oriented drummers are into.

Still and all.................who can say that they can see Steve Smith play or Marco Minnemem (sp?) or who is this new 12 year old monster
        that I just saw recently on youtube.........and not be blown away by how healthy the state of modern drumming is today in the world.

with respect to all drummers at all levels.

Rick Walker

Sun, January 28, 2007 - 1:31 AM
          i meant to say, 'if the screaming died down' in that last post.

I just came back from my dear father's memorial and I'm brain dead and very sad. forgive me.
          • Unsu...

Sun, January 28, 2007 - 5:32 PM
            Rick our thoughts go out to you. May you heal in the shortest of needed time.

Good post on Ringo.

I have to agree that not all the Neil Peart, Nicko Mcbrain Steve Gad and the like truely represent what drumming is all about. We are buy all sence the time, the back and the metronomes of music. It took me loosing my kit for 8 years and finaly getting one back to realize that flash has a place but it is not my place most of the time. Because my place is the time. Now when I play instead of being a metal man I have chosen to join a 60s revival band. Maybe I am older, maybe I am just not in practice enough, but really I CHOOSE to play 60s because it is teaching me a new leason in drums. To play the bones, hold the time and be a drummer, not a soloist playing in time with other soloists.

Gary

Sun, January 28, 2007 - 8:15 PM
              Kenny Jones of the Small Faces
              John French of Captain Beefheart's Magic Band
              Jaki Liebezeit of Can
              Chris Cutler of Henry Cow
              Pete Thomas of the Attractions
              George Hurley of the Minutemen

Mon, January 29, 2007 - 1:04 AM
                Glad to hear someone mention Pete Thomas of the attractions.

Another one I'd love to nominate is Jerome Deupree, who was the wonderful
                and idiosyncratic drummer in the first incarnations of the brilliant band, Morhpine.

What he does with a band that has a two string bass, a baritone saxophone and a drumset is truly amazing.
                I actually have been good friends, fortunately over the years and when I first met him, he played in
                a band on IRS records called the Humans that, unfortunately and undeservedly, never made it big in the early 80's.

He's a fantastic drummer who has also played in Boston's Either/Orchestra.
                A rock drummer (like Mitch Mitchell) with a jazz sensibility who was also an inspiring rock drummer.

Check him out. I stole SOOOO much shit from him (thanks, Jerome)

Thu, July 5, 2007 - 8:35 PM
        I almost thought no one was going to talk about Primus ( Tim Alexander) I got to see him play in alittle bar in Grand juntion . With about 30 people there. Even got to sit at the bar and talk for a while. The show was great, He played with Primus's guitar player and a chapmen stick player. If you have never played with someone that can play Chapmen stick good, you need to it will open up a knew world, for a good drummer to have fun in. Anyway, I have also heard Tim was one of Neil Pearts students, and that could explain alot.
        I also got to see King Crimson play in DC. Bill Buford played with Tony Leven who also plays Chapmen stick and that was the best show I have ever seen. I have to put Bill in my top 5.

Sun, August 12, 2007 - 10:15 AM
          check out Ray Luzier who plays with "Army of Anyone" which is a "super group" formed by dean and robert dileo of stone temple pilots .. also rich patrick from NIN and Filter singing ..

but ray is the drummer and he played with david lee roth for awhile and various others...

he's good ... tight and very athletic/frenetic ... kind've like josh freese ....

Tue, February 6, 2007 - 8:10 PM
    What about Charlie Watts? Can't talk about the greatest rock drummers of all time and not mention him. He's at the top of the list.

Wed, February 7, 2007 - 4:16 PM
      I love Charlie! Well, I love listening to him. I cannot, ever, WATCH him, however. That pause-and-not-come-down-on-the-four-on-the-high-hat thing just makes me loopy. Does any other drummer do that? I've never seen one who did.

Mon, March 5, 2007 - 1:28 PM
    Yes - Neal Peart of course.

Thank you someone for mentioning Sheila E.

Let's not forget Debra Dobkin the percussionist with Bonnie Raitt - not necessarily Rock, but worth mentioning.

And of course - Kate Schellenbach the original drummer for the Beastie Boys and Luscious Jackson.

I don't know if I'll bet beat up by you guys, but a couple of my personal favorite drummers I didn't see listed are also, Dave Grohl, (Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stoneage {1st album } ) And Taylor Hawkins of the Foo Fighters of course.

Mon, March 5, 2007 - 2:49 PM
      Dave Grohl also played drums on the Nine Inch Nails album "with teeth"

More real acoustic drum kit on that album than any other NIN album ...
      YOu can kind've tell it's him too ...

The new NIN album is drummed partially by Josh Freese, the new official NIN drummer for live shows ... He's not too shabby either ...

Sat, September 22, 2007 - 4:22 AM
        I saw Josh play on the very first night he was in the touring band.

1st night and he just blew me away. I've been lucky and have been seeing
        great rock drummers since I was a teenager in the 60's.

He's one of the most impressive drummers I've seen.

It was more than just chops (he's got 'em for sure) or show (he's really energetic and fun to watch
        from a pure visceral point of view).

It's that he rocks so fucking hard and yet he is obviously a very intelligent and very concious drummer
        with a true aethetic style. He really plays the song.

I don't even want to think about how good he is now that he knows the material well. He's by far the best drummer
        I've seen with NIN and I've seen a lot of Trent's tours over the years.

Sun, June 10, 2007 - 3:16 AM
    I Think one of the best drummers of all time is Paul Cassidy of Morly Grey...both on "The Only Truth" and "The First Supper" his percussionism is without equal...except for maybe Ginger Baker of Cream.
  • Alex Van Halen

Mon, November 5, 2007 - 5:13 PM
    Much like his brother Eddie, he sounds good on recordings, but those do not hold a candle to what he can do live. I saw them live this past Saturday, and Alex did a 10 minute long improv solo. It was one of the most amazing, astounding, complex, creative, beautiful (enough adjectives?) things that I have ever heard. It was too good to describe. The rhythms were so complex that you couldn't even process them. It was almost to good to be true. Now, you may discredit me because I am a 13 year old kid, but (not to brag), but I know more about classic rock than any kid my age. In conclusion, Alex Van Halen is NOT OVERRATED! If anything, he is far UNDERRATED. Do yourself a favor, and see them play live before criticizing, because (as good as they are), the recordings do not say anything about the musical genius of the Van Halen brothers

Sat, May 24, 2008 - 10:34 AM
    There's also these SEVERELY underrated drummers:
    Ronnie Tutt (played with Elvis Presley, late 60's and 70's)
    Dino Danelli (played with The Rascals)
    Huey Flint (John Mayall's Bluesbreakers)
    Mickey Waller (Jeff Beck Group)
    Carlo Little (Screaming Lord Sutch and the Savages) *also Keith Moon's earliest teacher.
  • Unsu...

Tue, July 29, 2008 - 10:40 PM
    I don't normally take the time to shove my opinion up anyone's ass and I supose I could just click away but your post raises some interesting inconsistencies.

Why have a serious conversation about rock drummers that doesn't include Tommy Boom-Boom Aldridge?

Why call Phill Collins a rock drummer? I liked him best in Brand-X and he rarely sang a syllable.

Neil Peart plays progressive rock - albeit very well indeed.

While I'm about it . . . what about Rod Morganstien? He's F'n amazing

BAD dog

Recent topics in "DRUM!"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
johnny carson's drummer Ed Shaughnessy, dies SynerGy 0 May 26, 2013
Why are there so few female drummers? 31 March 24, 2013
Ginger Baker (Cream) bio docu . SynerGy 0 March 4, 2012
Hello Unsubscribed 0 December 5, 2011